Need a creative idea for your next cheat meal? We’ve got you covered.
Try this Butternut Squash Lasagna!
336 Cal, 24g C, 36g P, 14g F
What You’ll Need
- 450g lean ground beef/turkey/ostrich/chicken
- 1 Whole butternut squash
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ground oregano
- 1 ½ cups fat-free cottage cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp parsley, dried
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 190°
- Cut the butternut at the ‘neck’ just above where it begins to widen. Peel the butternut and then slice length-ways with a sharp knife as thinly as possible.
- With a little oil, place the garlic, onion and oregano in a pan on the stove at medium heat and heat until fragrant.
- Add the ground protein to the pan and allow to cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and then allow the mixture to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- While the mixture is on the stove, mix the cottage cheese, parmesan, nutmeg, egg and parsley together in a bowl.
- In a 9cm x 13cm casserole dish, layer the ingredients:
- Bottom layer >> 1 – ½ cup of meat mixture
- Second layer >> Place the butternut slices (overlapping slightly) on top
- Third Layer >> ¾ cup of cottage cheese mixture
- Fourth Layer >> ½ cup of mozzarella
- Place in the oven once all layers are assembled and bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until the butternut squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the remaining cheese on the top and place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve hot or divide into portions to enjoy for every day of the week!